Saturday, July 10, 2010

BACK 2 CRORERPATI


After an abrupt end to the second season of Kaun Banega Crorepati because of his sudden illness five years ago, Amitabh Bachchan is all set to return to the show which hones in on his mastery as host, and showcases an exciting human drama of participants attempting to change their fortune with their knowledge. The larger-than-life figure that Bachchan is and the close connect he shares with the show’s participants. Besides the show’s simple format, his legendary baritone voice and his ability to turn even the simplest of scripts into memorable one-liners had made KBC a national passion.

That was quite some time back. But will the magic work this time? “Tell me how I am when you see the show. Praise me if I am good or criticise me if I am bad,” says Bachchan who anchored the show’s first two seasons spread over 350 episodes. The third season in 2007 was hosted by Shah Rukh Khan. Ask him why he didn’t do the third season and quick comes a one-line reply, “Nobody came to me for the third season.” After a pause he adds, “I had a health problem at that time.” Whatever it is, Bachchan is all praise for Shah Rukh. “I don’t think the show didn’t work well with Shah Rukh. It worked very well and he did a good job,” he says diplomatically.

Apparently, the deal between Bachchan and Sony was cracked after multiple meetings over the last few months. He however, feigns ignorance whether the channel had approached any other actor to host KBC before approaching him. Mention Aamir Khan and he says, “Whether Aamir or Shah Rukh, they all are good. They work in their own ways and I have my own way of working. When I take a show, I make it a point to work well on it.” Though Sony’s senior officials admit that the show’s format will have lots of changes, Bachchan refuses to talk about it. “We are still working on the format and looking at what new we can do,” he adds. Will there be any change in his style of hosting? Will he come up with a new line for locking the answer? Bachchan gives a noncommittal reply, “Sony has given me a long list of dos and don’ts and I am yet to take a call on them.” He also refuses to speculate about the kind of TRPs the show will garner. He says, “I really don’t understand this TRP game.”

He admits that health is still a major issue with him but he is committed to doing the show’s full season. “I am done with the shooting of my films and haven’t signed a new film in the last 18 months. So I will only do TV now for some time.”

No comments: